Soft Skills, Career Development Skills, Communication Skills, Collaboration Skills and many many other synonyms. We all heard of these type of skills that nowadays are essential for growing in our careers. As engineers, in nowadays markets, technical qualities is no longer enough, we need to work with people, manage ourselves and our work and also set expectations for other people working with us. We need to be able to communicate effectively and collaborate perfectly. Here is a good article on why these skills are super important in today’s job market.
If you went to grad school or a code camp, or even learnt programming yourself by taking online courses, none of these will teach you about these type of skills. No grad school will have a required course on growth skills to pass in order to graduate.
So, how can we learn these? Or even, Are these skills teachable and learnable?
The answer is, YES.
There are many ways to learn these skills and practice them at your job, over time you get better and better at them. So here I wanted to share some resources I used to understand these skills and apply them in my career:
If you have time for only one book, then read this:
- Soft Skills: The Software Developer’s Life Manual by John Sonmez
For going more deep into growth skills, here are more books to consider:
- 🌟 HBR 10 must reads by Harvard Business Review
- Outliers by Malcom Gladwell
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Talk like TED by Carmine Gallo
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini
- Thank You for Arguing by Jay Heinrichs
- No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work by Liz Fosslien & Mollie West Duffy
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love by Cal Newport
- 🌟 Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- Dare to Lead by Brené Brown
- Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull & Amy Wallace
- Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life by Nir Eyal
- 🌟 Mastery by Robert Greene